Accessibility Information

Students with Disabilities

The WashingtonOnline web site and classrooms follow WC3 Section 508 Web Accessibility guidelines for universal access. If you have a disability that requires accommodation, you must register through a college campus and follow the procedures of that college for accommodation. Instructors will accommodate students with disabilities when proper documentation is received from the college office.

The Disabled Student Services offices of the Washington community & technical colleges strive to ensure equal access to educational programs and services to people with disabilities and to improve the campus community's understanding of diversity issues. Contact your college for more specific information using the 'College Info Lookup' Box on the student services home page.

Blackboard tip for Students using JAWS 5 and IE 6 browser:

The Blackboard text box editor is based on a Microsoft-authored Active-X control, and does not work with screen readers. The suggested remedy to this is to disable the Blackboard text box editor, leaving the standard text box functionality available to students using screen readers.

To disable the text box editor (from within Blackboard):

Online Resources

International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet
WC3 Web Accessibility Guidelines

The HEATH Resource Center of The George Washington University, Graduate School of Education and Human Development, is the national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities. Support from the U.S. Department of Education enables the clearinghouse to serve as an information exchange about educational support services, policies, procedures, adaptations, and opportunities at American campuses, vocational-technical schools, and other postsecondary training entities.

The HEATH resource paper Creating Options: A Resource on Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities - The HEATH resource paper that describes federal aid programs and how they benefit students with disabilities. Students should also contact the Financial Aid Office of at the colleges they are considering for information about any campus-based assistance that may be available.

Home | Help | Feedback | Privacy Statement
WashingtonOnline 1-888-580-9011   Copyright© WashingtonOnline 2010